Wednesday, April 2, 2014

SOCKS!!!

My friends and family know I love knitting socks. They may not know that I love socks in general. Seriously. Socks are important. I have special socks for each type of shoe and activity. I may knit socks but they are not appropriate for wearing on all occasions or in all shoes. Today I'll tell you about my running sock fascination.

Sneakers for example require athletic socks. For working at the gym basic cotton socks will be fine. There is no worry about blisters while moving around and handing weights to clients. Running though? That is a different story. I started with a nice running sock. It was one that was a moisture wicking sock. After a year I discovered toe socks. Initially I purchased them to wear in my Vibram 5 Finger shoes. They were perfect! About that same time I went on a 12 mile run and developed blisters. I was shocked. My favorite socks, my favorite running shoes, no crazy weather, no mud puddles, nothing new except blisters. I searched out advice. I learned other runners found toe socks helped prevent blisters by giving cushion and moisture absorption between the toes. I had a pair so why not give them a try? I now have six pair and they are wearing out. I will admit they have many miles on them and close to 2 years of use. I'll be replacing them this spring. Why not? They serve their purpose quite well. They hold up but perhaps that is because I limit my use to running only. They are precious running equipment. I keep them for runs only.



Last month I knit a pair of new socks. They are heavily cabled and teal green. I love them. They are super soft and very warm. I was lucky enough to have a chilly morning after they were done to wear them. Most of my wool socks will be washed and stored soon. I find summer too warm for merino hand knit socks. I will however be spending a great deal of time knitting more socks to add to the beautiful sock drawer. The March addition?


No comments:

Post a Comment