Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Breakfast

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that sentence in my life. I'm sure for each and every time I've skipped at least 3 mornings' breakfast. I used to pride myself on not eating until noon. Times change. Personal lessons are learned. Education expands the mind. Breakfast is never skipped now. Now I'm preaching "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day". The best part of this is I believe it now.

When you wake your body needs food. You need protein and veggies to give your cells the building blocks to fuel a productive day. Protein at breakfast anchors your blood sugar through the day. Eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast is like eating a bowl of sugar. Even "whole grain sugar free" cereals turn straight to sugar in the body and let you down quickly in your morning routine. This is a pretty quick up/down roller coaster ride for your system. A body with balanced blood sugar is a "fat burning machine". I want my body to be a "fat burning muscle building machine". No, I'm not interested in building huge body builder muscles. That takes work, dedication, and massive amounts of food. I'm interested in a lean, fit, healthy body that is ready to play.

This morning I made myself a big breakfast. I had 3 eggs, 2 cups of kale, and one medium sweet potato. I peeled and diced the sweet potato before roasting it under the broiler in 2 tsp of olive oil. The greens and eggs I poached together. It is a quick and easy way to have fresh greens and protein at breakfast.


Poached Greens and Eggs

In a shallow pan or fry pan bring 3/4 of an inch of water to a near boil and add 2 cups (more or less) to the pan.


Then crack the eggs onto the greens. This is before you cook the greens.


The yokes float on the top and the whites go down into the greens a bit. That is fine. You then cover and steam with the water close to boiling (sometimes mine boils over when I'm not super careful) until the whites are cooked through and the yokes are just starting to set. This takes about 5-7 minutes.


Remove the greens and eggs with a slotted spoon. They can be a bit drippy. I'm not a fan of drippy. I'll wait extra to get the water out of the greens. As you can see from the top picture the greens are set into the eggs as they cook. I'll add salt and pepper before eating. You could add garlic before steaming if you like. You could also thinly slice onion and toss some in with the greens.

This is one of my favorite go to foods in the morning. I've covered 2 servings of greens and one sweet potato. I have anchored my blood sugar with the protein in the egg whites. My body will be super happy and energized!


2 comments:

  1. THis looks delicious! I have to say i don't normally eat greens/veggies for breakfast but i'm going to try this tomorrow... i have some kale out in the garden :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete