Tuesday, September 25, 2012

WHY??

When my children learned this word I thought my days were numbered. Now as a trainer I love it. Why? One of my greatest goal setting questions! Why are you doing this? Smaller jeans? Larger muscles? Easier hiking? Faster run time? Lessened pain or to become pain free? Fight cancer? Fight heart disease? Reverse diabetes? Avoid a family history of these diseases? Combat autoimmune disease?

I've been thinking about my "why" today. I can't avoid it. Every turn I take I see it mirrored in the people around me. I have many answers to the "why" question. I want to fit into my clothes better. I want running to be an easier activity. I want to be stronger. I want more balance. I want to age gracefully. I want to hike the Appalachian Trail when I'm 67 (I think by then I'll have time to do it). I want to avoid some family history, high blood pressure and cancer are top on that list.

Please think about your "why". Think about what your driving force is. Think about the many facets to this force. Simply stating that you want to be healthier is good. Going to the deepest level of that is great. Healthier is what? Why do you want to be healthier? Has your doctor said you are borderline diabetic? Do you have high blood pressure? Are you hoping to avoid these issues because someone in your family has them?  I have clients who want to play with their grandchildren. This why has many layers. It also has a deep emotional tie. When your goal has an emotional tie it becomes easier to stay on track. The steps to reach it seem shorter and less labor intensive.

Food is a simple controllable step on the road to a healthier you. It is rare that people are forced to eat bad food. I have seen some cases and they make me very sad. The majority of people are in control of the foods they put into their bodies. Choosing foods that are nutritious and taste good is a skill that can be learned! This is my best news for you today. You can make a change. You can choose to nourish your body in a way that provides optimal performance. Best of all, you don't have to sacrifice flavor, color, texture, or quantity to do it!

Today's food is Lentils. Lentils are easy to cook. They require no soaking and are fairly quick to prepare.

2 cups green lentils, washed
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1/4 cup diced peppers (mine were mildly spicy if I had used a sweet bell pepper I would have used one whole one)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground sage

Add all ingredients to a pot and cover with water. Slowly boil keeping the lentils covered in water for 45 minutes or until the lentils are soft.

Lunch yesterday was lentils with seamed veggies and a simple green lettuce salad. It was quite filling and kept me going for 3 hours. Perfect timing for my afternoon shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment