Friday, September 28, 2012

Veggies it's what's for breakfast!

One of the most common responses I get when I'm starting with a client is, "You want me to eat vegetables for breakfast?" We are so ingrained in our views on vegetables the concept of eating them first thing in the morning can seem odd to say the least.

There are a few vegetables I would classify as "classic breakfast" foods. Potatoes are high on that list. Unfortunately potatoes are not on my recommended foods list. I'm focused on vegetables that are rich in nutrients and fiber. Potatoes meet neither of these requirements. What is a good substitute for those home fries in the morning? A vegetable hash. 

I make this using a variety of vegetables. It really depends on what is fresh and in the fridge when I go to make it. I've used chopped brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, hard winter squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, and even cabbage. This morning I had carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, and cauliflower on hand. 

Vegetable Hash

2 cups of mixed chopped veggies (this is per serving)
1/4 cup chopped onion (again per serving)
garlic to taste
1-3 tsp olive oil
water for steam saute


Heat oil in pan and add onion. Lightly saute until onions are soft. Add chopped veggies and stir through. Allow veggies to sear a bit then cover. Check frequently. I often add a few TBS of water and cover to steam saute the vegetables. This cooks them through faster and prevents burning. 



This is a side dish for breakfast. You will need to add protein. Today I had 2 eggs and 2 pieces of chicken sausage with my veggies. I sometimes will crack my eggs raw over top of the almost cooked hash and then cover them. The steam cooks the eggs and softens the vegetables. I've also made this with turkey bacon or chicken sausage added to the vegetable mix. I find quite a lot of freedom of choice with this. Keep experimenting to find the perfect combinations for your taste buds.


3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I can see it with cumbled sausage mixed in and the eggs on top, skillet style. Yum!! Might just give this one a try tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wish I hadn't gone to work so early. Veggie Hash is one of my favorites and I like to add HOT sauce to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for gluten free breakfasts with no grains, nuts or legumes. This is it! Thanks, Kam!

    ReplyDelete