Sunday, October 28, 2012

Accepting the Cold

I've been in denial. You know the drill, ignoring the cold hard facts put right in your face and looking the other way. What am I trying so hard not to face? The change of season. Oh, I've been enjoying the leaf color changes and crisp morning air made for perfect runs. What I've been ignoring is the harsh cold, brisk wind, and inevitable snow that will follow the more pleasant aspects of fall. Today that all changed. What finally opened my eyes is an approaching winter storm. Such a rude awakening before we have even left October! There is a chance of snow and ice or it could just be wind and very cold rain. Wind is a definite  We already have 15-20 mile per hour winds. That makes for a chilly night.

Cold nights make me want warm drinks. In years past I would have a sweetened hot drink. Perhaps a hot cocoa or hot spiced apple cider, I might even go so far as to have a special decaf coffee drink to warm myself up. Now I stick to the sugar free non-dairy indulgences. Tonight I'm making hot cocoa with almond milk, cocoa powder, and stevia for sweetener.

Almond Milk Hot Cocoa

16 ounces almond milk
3 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
stevia to taste

Heat the almond milk in a sauce pan. Stirring with a wire whisk add the cocoa powder when the milk has reached room temperature. Continue stirring and heating until the cocoa is mixed in and the milk has reached your desired drinking temperature. At this point you can add stevia to suit your sweet tooth desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment