Monday, October 8, 2012

Craving Pizza

There are days I have weird food. Weird combinations of food and weird food substitutions. I've been eating an alternative diet for about 15 years. At first I cut out wheat and dairy. I had to cut out mushrooms because they became a migraine trigger. Then I cut out gluten completely. I was eventually forced to cut out soy. So what is left? Veggies, protein, and a few other grains.

I don't feel deprived, often. There are some foods I wish were still in my diet. Just because they taste good and are common social foods. Pizza is one of those foods. I can make a gluten free crust and have a goat cheese pizza. It is tasty. It is not brick oven pizza. This week I'm not eating any grains. No gluten free crust for me. So how am I going to satisfy that pizza craving? By making one of my weird food meals!

Eggplant Pizza Like Dinner

1 Large eggplant, sliced in thin rounds
1 small package baby spinach
1 green pepper, sliced in thin rounds
1 or 2 tomatoes sliced thin

I spread the eggplant out in a single layer on a broiler proof pan and broiled for 5 minutes on each side. Then I layered the spinach on top:


I put pepper rings and tomato slices over the spinach. Then I sprinkled with powdered garlic and put it back under the broiler until the spinach wilted and the tomatoes had started to cook.


It may not be pizza but it satisfied the craving and kept me within the limitations of my meal plan! My blood sugar remained balanced and my taste buds are happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment