Saturday, October 6, 2012

Patience



Yesterday I started a new hat. I've been saving a yarn that I spun for a year now. The yarn was spun from Blue Faced Leicester wool. It has a slight shine to it and feels springy as it flows through my hands. This hat has been a lesson in patience for me. I started the cast on the designer recommended. I was not pleased with how it looked as a beginning. I ripped it out. I tried the alternative cast on. It took me a bit to get the hang of what she was telling me to do and even then I was not certain it would be right. I knit one round. I found my stitch count was off. I ripped it out and started over. This last cast on worked. I had the right number of stitches. I was ready to begin a ribbed cuff. I thought that was it. Good to go. No more worries. Just knit it up. Time for joy and celebration. Yes, only 8 rounds into the hat and feeling like the celebration of a completed hat was due.

I completed the cuff and began the cabled design that would be the hat. After 4 rounds of the design I thought it would never work. The yarn was too busy. The pattern didn't show. I was convinced I'd have to rip out and pick a new yarn. Fortunately for me I chose to put it down for the night and wait until morning. Giving it a fair chance I picked it up again today. I decided I'd put so much effort into it already I might as well give it another couple of rounds. Six rounds later I'm pleased with the hat again. I'm happy with the yarn choice. I like the way the pattern is forming. I love the way the designer has written up the pattern. She was smart enough to write a pattern that someone on a detox can understand.

There are so many times in our lives that we give up too soon. I see people giving up on themselves and their goals just before they are about to reach them. It saddens me to watch this happen. Like my hat, these people were just a few steps from seeing their progress. Just a few short steps from reaching a milestone that would fuel them on in their journey.

Body transformation is a slow and steady process. The body requires good fuel and proper exercise just as much as it requires sleep and an environment that encourages peace and calm. As a personal trainer and a TLS coach I can provide wonderful fun workouts and education on proper food choices. I can assist many of my clients in accumulating moments of peace and joy in their lives. I can even make them so tired they sleep well. I cannot walk the path for them. I can and do walk beside them.

Today I've learned that I may need to provide guidance in patience. I may need to point out more of the milestones as they are achieved. I also learned that I may need to have more faith in my own milestones and achievements.

As for food, today is day 6 on my detox. I'm feeling great. I'm super happy today. I'm appreciating the beautiful Fall day and kale is the veggie in abundance. I'm majoring in greens this week. Greens are nutrient dense and fill the body with fiber. There are only so many steamed greens a person can eat though. As I'm tiring of them I decided to make some crispy kale. Ironically crispy kale is a lesson in kitchen patience.

Crispy Kale
1 bunch kale cut in small pieces woody stems removed
Bragg's Liquid Aminos or soy sauce to taste
Garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 375. Lay the kale on a baking sheet in a single layer. Spray with aminos or soy sauce. Sprinkle garlic powder over. Bake for 10-15 minutes watching so the kale just gets crispy but does not burn.  Before and after baking:


No comments:

Post a Comment