Sunday, October 21, 2012

Afternoon Run



Three weeks from today I'm running my fourth half marathon of the year. Weekends are for long runs. Usually I run in the morning. This weekend we had company. Yesterday was about hiking and this morning was about cooking a healthy brunch and saying goodbye to family. Then we went out for errands.

Running gels were top on the list. I'm wanting something new. New flavors, new styles, new something. Anything that will add interest to fueling while running. We went over to REI where they have just about every flavor and style of running fuel you can imagine. I chose chocolate raspberry, mint chocolate, and plain chocolate gel packs. I also picked up some chews. The chews are like gummy bears only they are running fuel. Though I like the new textures of the chews, I'm not sure on the flavors yet. They feel an awful lot like eating candy.

Since we were busy for most of the morning and into the afternoon, I was tired, and wanted to skip out on my run. I wanted to just hang out, knit, and relax. That is not what I did! Despite my lethargic feelings, my partner and I talked ourselves into a 7 mile run. It was amazing! We ran on the sidewalk next to a busy four-lane road, then on two-lane road without any sidewalk, and then we picked up the Mountains to Sea trail for a couple of miles near the Asheville Folk Art Center. We finished up on neighborhood roads for a total of 7 miles of flat, hills, and mildly technical trail running.

I feel content. I feel like I did the most important things I could have done all weekend long. I spent some lovely time with family and friends. I ran with my partner on one of the last warm afternoons that we could possibly have together this fall. I laughed and enjoyed life. I packed 4 days worth of adventure into 2 days of weekend time.

Running gives me creative space. My mind wanders and I think of all my creative projects. Today was no different. I day dreamed of my knitting projects as always, and of course I thought about food. What food I would cook and share today. The glorious fall foliage inspired me. I decided on spicy sweet potato wedges!

Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges

2-3 med-large sweet potatoes, peeled
1 TBS olive oil
1-2 tsp hot pepper seasoning mix

Cut the sweet potatoes into steak fry wedges and put into a large mixing bowl. Pour oil over and sprinkle with seasoning mix. Stir to coat. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 475 for 30-45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the edges are crispy.


No comments:

Post a Comment