Friday, October 19, 2012

Spinning

I felt a bit like I was spinning through my day today. My client schedule was different than normal and filled with short breaks. I usually have clients grouped together and large chunks of time either before or after them. I tried to get cooking, cleaning, and crafting done in those breaks. I think I was fairly successful in completing these tasks.


Knitting time today was in limited quantity. I could have chosen to spend my entire evening knitting. What I chose to do instead is spin. Spinning is relaxing. Once a rhythm is established the yarn seems to spin itself. That rhythm is dependent on a few factors. One is how freely your hands let the wool flow and another is how evenly you treadle the wheel. Treadling is when you push the foot peddles to make the wheel go. Tonight my treadling wasn't perfectly smooth. I thought I was not sore or tired from running the last two days in a row. Fifteen minutes of spinning told me otherwise. Who knew? The wool I'm using is beautiful. It is a super soft Targhee dyed by Younger Yarns. I love the wool. Rather than push tired shins and risk having an unevenly spun yarn I decided to wait until my body has had a chance to recover.

What did I have fun creating in the kitchen today? Blue cheese vinaigrette! Blue cheese is quite a unique flavor. I've liked it for as long as I can remember. Since I'm trying to avoid using many of the bottled commercial dressings I thought I'd try making a vinaigrette that is filled with the rich blue cheese flavor.

Blue Cheese Vinaigrette

1 clove garlic, chopped small or pulverized with a mortar and pestle
1 green onion chopped fine
1.5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together and let sit until flavors meld and enjoy on a big green salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment